Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Fresh from oven

Never have I been so motivated to get up early in the morning on a weekend to bake for breakfast. However, I'm not sure what have gotten into me, maybe a whole month of getting up really early for meeting cause it.

Last Saturday, I got up early and saw the last banana on the table and suddenly I felt like baking. I know I'm a little weird. Baking and cooking sometime help me relax my mind and body. I do that sometime to help me destress. Try it sometime, it really helps, however of course you need to be in the mood, else it will be even more stressful.

After couple minutes of looking around the pantry, I found some almond as well, so might as well make banana nut cake for breakfast. After 15 minutes, here is what I whip up and it is ready to go into the oven.


25 to 30 minutes later, I have fresh banana cake on the table for breakfast.
The recipe is courtesy of Joy of Baking.

Recipe:
1 cup (115 grams) walnuts or pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped (optional)
1 3/4 cups (245 grams) all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
3 ripe large bananas (approximately 1 pound or 454 grams), mashed well (about 1-1/2 cups)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Garnish: (Optional)
1 large banana, sliced or dried banana chips



Add another cup of joe and my breakfast is set. Time to sit down for breakfast by the window to enjoy the garden and the morning sun. Hmmm... only if we can do this everyday. Ah... what a day it would be.

No comments: